Thursday, February 07, 2008

Stormhoek Origin and End

As was revealed today in Harpers, it seems that Origin Wine Pty, another producer from South Africa with existing international brands and strengths, will be taking over the assets of Orbital.

I can't say I know much about Origin beyond what I have read elsewhere today, so I can only hope it works out for them and for the brands, including Stormhoek (why is it that neither of these companies seems to have any web presence of their own?).

What is interesting, and sad, is that as Origin already has UK offices it will not be taking on any of the Orbital staff, so I suspect there will be some pretty big changes in the marketing of the brand. I'm pretty sure, for a start, that it means the end of Hugh MacLeod's involvement.

It is probably a sensible result for those involved, but I guess there are those of us who will be disappointed that the result was not more ... dramatic, and befitting the brand.

Let's see what Origin can do for the wine. Good luck!

No comments: