- Wine is the main object in a reality TV show (check! Oz & James took care of that)
- Wine is the key plot driver in a big movie (check! Sideways & A Good Year, plus Mondovino etc.)
- Wine becomes the subject of a daytime TV Quiz Show
- Wine gets mentioned on The Archers (I happened to hear them mention facebook some months back - I knew then it had "arrived")
- Two 'blokes' in a pub 'come to blows' over a wine
- You can discuss the wine you drank last night with your barber, and he gives you new suggestions
- Wine becomes the focus of a pulp fiction novel (check!)
I decided to explore further and read the back cover.
"Three women who dare to make it in a man's world. One sparkling prize."I was intrigued.
"Competing to produce the world's best sparkling wine, the three women are swept into a world of feuds, back-stabbing, sabotage and seduction. Have they got what it takes to survive?"
Ooh! They joined the wine trade. How exciting! (only joking ... no seduction around here that I know about).
Quite apart from the correct use of the term sparkling wine, I was quite taken aback that wine should be quite such a central theme of such a book. I guess I should really have bought the book to learn more, but I couldn't bring myself to put it in the basket. However, if you are intrigued, you can check out the site here and even buy it on Amazon for £1.99.
How much more "popular" can you get?